Friday, March 18, 2011

Does your organization maintain proper workflow history?

Reviewing docs for a client today and ran across this comment in a document "I believe that there are audit reporting requirements to provide evidence of workflow approvals of changes to compensation or position-related edits"

Question: Does your company property maintain workflow history for approvals? Let me help with another question to ask your DBAs - how often are workflow history tables purged? Your homework for the day...

Based on my experience, many organizations do not have the evidence for such approvals if an auditor asks for this type of history.

I have enabled anonymous comments to protect the identity of those responding. Please respond anonymously with any comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We only maintain 30 days worth of history. Not enough even to support month end in case of questions. As a developer, I don't feel this is adequate for support reasons.

Jeffrey T. Hare, CPA CISA CIA said...

Anonymous - feel free to email me at jhare@erpra.net. I agree that 30 days isn't enough. The workflow approval history should be kept as long as your retention history calls for it to be stored - typically this type of data is kept for 12 - 15 months to support SOX audits.

Regards,
Jeff